Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Sound Writing is the official writing handbook on campus, written by student writing advisors and specifically tailored to the needs of Puget Sound students and their faculty.
In addition to supporting the development of successful academic writing skills, Sound Writing also includes sections on research methods, writing in the disciplines, and more.
Sound Writing provides help with three citation styles: MLA, APA, and Chicago (notes & bibliography).
Current Edition: 2020
Get Help at CWL
The Center for Writing & Learning (CWL), located in Howarth 109, offers students opportunities to get help on all aspects of the writing process. Services include:
- Writing Advisors who are selected through a rigorous application process and who are specially trained to help students get started on a paper, organize their thoughts, or improve their editing skills.
- Peer Tutors in a wide range of subjects who are nominated by professors in their disciplines and who are specially trained to help students individually or in small groups.
- Language Partners who work with multilingual students to help them navigate the conventions and quirks of academic English writing.
- Academic Consultants who are specially trained to help students improve their time management skills, organization, study skills, and test-taking strategies.
Citations are key to participating in the scholarly community. They are a way to converse with other scholars, but they also:
- Give fair credit to others for their ideas, creations, and expressions.
- Back up claims and statements.
- Provide a way for an interested reader to learn more.
- Support academic integrity.
Consult Citation Tools to learn more about different citation styles. Collins Library also supports two knowledge management tools: RefWorks and Zotero.