Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Get Help at CWL
The Center for Writing & Learning (CWL), located in Howarth 109, offers students opportunities to get help on all aspects of the writing process. Services include:
- Writing Advisors who are selected through a rigorous application process and who are specially trained to help students get started on a paper, organize their thoughts, or improve their editing skills.
- Peer Tutors in a wide range of subjects who are nominated by professors in their disciplines and who are specially trained to help students individually or in small groups.
- Language Partners who work with multilingual students to help them navigate the conventions and quirks of academic English writing.
- Academic Consultants who are specially trained to help students improve their time management skills, organization, study skills, and test-taking strategies.
Citation styles vary depending on the discipline of the course you're in. Always check with your professor about which citation guide you should use for your research papers.
Chicago Manual of Style Online
Call Number: Click on the title above for online access.
The Chicago Manual of Style Online is completely searchable and easy to use, providing quick answers to your style and editing questions.
Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association by
Call Number: BF76.7 .P83 2020 Reserves (Circulation Desk)
Publication Date: 2019
The 7th edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association is the style manual of choice for writers, editors, students, and educators in the social and behavioral sciences. Well-known for its authoritative and easy-to-use reference and citation system, the Publication Manual also offers guidance on choosing the headings, tables, figures, and tone that will result in strong, simple, and elegant scientific communication.
MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers by
Call Number: LB2369 .G53 2009
Publication Date: 2009
The library has two copies. One is shelved in the reference stacks on the main floor and the other is on reserve at the Circulation Desk.
Citations are key to participating in the scholarly community. They are a way to converse with other scholars, but they also:
- Give fair credit to others for their ideas, creations, and expressions.
- Back up claims and statements.
- Provide a way for an interested reader to learn more.
- Support academic integrity.
Consult Citation Tools to learn more about different citation styles. Collins Library also supports two knowledge management tools: RefWorks and Zotero.
Guide gives you detailed information about citation styles and citation tools (RefWorks & Zotero).
This guide highlights only a small portion of the many resources available to you. If you're not finding what you need, don't hesitate to contact Andrea!
Social Sciences Liaison Librarian
tel: (253) 879-2875
office: Collins Library 141
Request an Appointment with Andrea