Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Citations are key to participating in the scholarly community. They are a way to converse with other scholars, but they also:
- Give fair credit to others for their ideas, creations, and expressions.
- Back up claims and statements.
- Provide a way for an interested reader to learn more.
- Support academic integrity.
Consult Citation Tools to learn more about different citation styles. Collins Library also supports two knowledge management tools: RefWorks and Zotero.
Citation & Writing Guides
Check with your professor about which citation guide you should use for your research papers.
There are also many online tools available that may be helpful. Listed here are a select few.
Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association by
Call Number: BF76.7 .P83 2020 Reference
Publication Date: 2019
The 7th edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association is the style manual of choice for writers, editors, students, and educators in the social and behavioral sciences. Well-known for its authoritative and easy-to-use reference and citation system, the Publication Manual also offers guidance on choosing the headings, tables, figures, and tone that will result in strong, simple, and elegant scientific communication.
APA Style Simplified by
Call Number: Click on the title above for online access.
Publication Date: 2012
This is a compact but comprehensive guide to writing clearly and effectively in APA style. Demonstrates how to write objective scientific research papers using interesting prose Incorporates guidelines from the 6 th edition of the APA publication manual Explores how to develop ideas, connect them to what others have written, and express them clearly Discusses the differences between written, oral, and poster presentations and offers instructions for applying APA style to each
Get Help at CWL
The Center for Writing & Learning (CWL), located in Howarth 109, offers students opportunities to get help on all aspects of the writing process. Services include:
- Writing Advisors who are selected through a rigorous application process and who are specially trained to help students get started on a paper, organize their thoughts, or improve their editing skills.
- Peer Tutors in a wide range of subjects who are nominated by professors in their disciplines and who are specially trained to help students individually or in small groups.
- Language Partners who work with multilingual students to help them navigate the conventions and quirks of academic English writing.
- Academic Consultants who are specially trained to help students improve their time management skills, organization, study skills, and test-taking strategies.
Center for Speech and Effective Advocacy
The Center for Speech and Effective Advocacy is located in Jones 204. This center is designed to address the curricular and co-curricular needs of a wide variety of classes and campus groups, and provides a collaborative space to practice and refine the skills of public speaking, argumentation, advocacy, and persuasion.
Oral communication is among the most important skills for college students to possess, according to an employer study conducted by the American Association of Colleges and Universities in 2018. Speaking skills can have a positive impact on a student's academic life, career, and civic success. Trained peer speech consultants are available by appointment to assist students and faculty members with every aspect of learning and teaching oral communication skills.
Many additional resources can be found on the Center's web page.
This guide highlights only a small portion of the many resources available to you. If you're not finding what you need, don't hesitate to contact Andrea!
Social Sciences Liaison Librarian
tel: (253) 879-2875
office: Collins Library 141
Request an Appointment with Andrea